Saturday, September 21, 2013

Jaha's (late) birthday poem

I found myself writing a poem for you for your birthday 
But then I ate it and it tasted like candy 
But today is not a rainy day yet I thought of you anyway 
Cotton candy made me think of Nikki Giovanni 
which brought me back to poetry 
which brought me full circle back to you 
Full circle of course made me think 
of the circle of life and 
our circles of friendships that intersected 
and brought us together 
circles also made me think of 
those small things that we swallow 
that make us feel better 
make the warm fuzzies have sharp edges 
and make the clouds dissipate 
And then I thought how much 
I love you 
for your courage 
your bravery 
your honesty 
your love 
all over the page 
all over the canvas
all over my life 
and so I thanked God for you 
as I sang happy birthday to you 
and ate the poem
that I began writing
you know,
 I think it had onions and peppers in it 
but surely that dollop of 
sweet
honey
mustard
was the clue
and I knew
it was for you!

Happy Birthday!

Reverendsister's Ink ©2013

No comments:

Post a Comment