Sunday, November 30, 2014

November 30 Advent Day One - Hope

Advent is the time to light candles and wait for the God who comes. Lately, the darkness has swallowed my words and has numbed my fingers as they seek to write the words that cannot escape from my throat. My words have been washed in darkness but now, slowly, tentatively, they will emerge again and keep me company as I wait for the child to come. Today's theme is Hope.


The darkness is thick and
I cannot see my hands clasped in in front of my face
While I pray in and through the darkness
Waiting and looking for the light to break through like the dawn

These same hands outstretched in worship
Waiting for the God who comes

One hand outstretched
   hand balled up in a clenched fist
   fighting against the dark
   striking at things that cannot be seen
   swinging in the darkness
     praying to connect from my position of power
     praying that I don't hit something unseen that will
        smash my outstretched fist into useless bits
     
The other hand outstretched
      waiting with a painkilling pill
         in the center of my palm
           burning a hole in my hand
             daring me to bring the hand to my mouth
                 and swallow the pill that will kill the pain
                 

Two hands outstretched in the darkness
     one fighting because there is hope
        one outstretched waiting for the replacement
          hoping for some relief

Both hands clasped together
in the posture of prayer
Fighting, waiting, and hoping
For the God who will come

No comments:

Post a Comment