Wednesday, January 1, 2014

grief verification

There's no casket here
But there is searing hot grief
Coursing down my face
Relentless hot rivulets 
leaping from my eyes and
Caucusing under my chin

There's no note 
On funeral parlor stationery
To excuse me from work
Because my loss
Was not carried in a casket

This grief knows
No pall bearers
Only grief bearers
Who loaned hearts
When mine broke
  for the millionth time

I called the wailing women
But the line was busy
With grief for fleshly remains
No time for wailing
Your petty griefs

But

We are sorry they keep you awake
We are sorry they steal your appetite
We are sorry that no one is available
   to take your call right now
But without a casket
We cannot verify your grief
Please try again
Later

Reverendsister's Ink (c) 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment