Thursday, December 20, 2012

thoughts on rhythms


This morning, my thoughts are on the dissonance between my life's patterns and Nature's rhythms. I wake before the sun comes up and work until after it has gone down. Rarely do I take in any sunlight unless I go out for lunch and then, I am focused on choosing food, going out to get it and then choking it down before my next class. No wonder the doctor said that I have a vitamin D deficiency. The leftovers from lunch become dinner on the train ride home which everyone wants to fill with the activity of their choosing. You know, things like phone conversations (I ride in the quiet car for a reason), grading papers, working on the next day's lesson, checking in with my teenager, texting, catching up on Scandal, Grey's Anatomy and Nashville. For the record, after a day of back to back classes, sometimes, I just want to be still for a moment and remember that God is bigger than all of my daily activities and Shonda Rhimes' best writing. God has still set a time for everything and it doesn't always coincide with the overcrowded calendar app on my iPad. God's rhythms are beautiful and perfect. The dissonance I perceive has come from building a life that sometimes causes me to sing a song in the key of Living Just Enough For the City instead of singing my song in the Key of Life. For now, this is my rushed, breathless song sung in a raspy, overworked voice. But I believe that the day is coming when I will sing unto The Lord a new song! That song will be in God's perfect meter and I will sing in the fullness of a voice reserved for God's song.

No comments:

Post a Comment