Thursday, November 7, 2013

Making Waves

As long as there are black girls
In jeans and tees
There will be black boys
With do rags
And brown brushes
Making waves

Sons of mine 
Get out of the mirror
And trust that your hair
Is at least as smart 
as you've trained it to be 
with your brush

Get out of that mirror
And see what I see
It ain't waves on your head
I see brain waves
I see the thoughts in your head!

I see you
No baby
I really see you
Making waves
In the world
I see you building pyramids
And solving equations and problems

Building bridges
To connect the cities 
The women are creating
With our words

I see you snatching earbuds out
And screaming 
For freedom
I see you turning earbuds
Into microphones
Because what you think
Far exceeds what you're being taught
But you think no one hears you.
I see you
I hear you
I feel you

Baby boy
Handsome son
Don't make waves in your hair
Make them with your mind
And watch the ripple effect in the world
Make waves of change
And reclaim your place

You can create something 
Bigger
Badder
Better
Than what we have handed down

Make waves baby boy
Make waves
and the world will 
Have to sit back
And enjoy the ride!
Make waves baby boy!
Make waves!


Reverendsister's Ink ©2013

No comments:

Post a Comment