Tuesday, November 6, 2012

#serendipity

On Sunday, November 4th, I did the unexpected. I left the house for something other than church. (gasp) The talented teen was off with her big sister and dinner had already been cooked the night before (nod to proper southern upbringing) and so, I decided that the Facebook post inviting me (and a billion other Facebook fans and friends) to a poetry event that included the hashtag #serendipity was written just for me. But there was just one problem. I don't leave my house on Sundays - except to go to church. So why was I writing down the address and phone number as if I might actually attend? I always want to go places and do things but I never do! What made me think this time would be different? One little hashtag. #serendipity

I came home from work and had to talk myself out of my skirt and into my jeans. (Yeah, no grand stories of endless wardrobe changes and fashion consultations here. I have sweats, jeans, button down shirts and suits. I make it work.) I ate a few morsels from the pot of smothered turkey wings and with a hair toss and a prayer (and one more dip into that pot), I jumped in the car with the thought...well, if I don't have to call AAA to start this car (like I've had to every day for the past week!), it's meant to be! #serendipity

Driving down I-76 on a Sunday for a non-church activity was my first act of pushing out of my comfort zone. I got there embarrassingly early and sat in a chair and let a total stranger play in my hair. (Second act of pushing out of my comfort zone! Yes it is all mine and Hell NO! You cannot touch it!). By total stranger, I simply mean that we had not met before but, we did introduce ourselves by name before I allowed her fingers to dance in my newly retightened locs...and she had locs, so it was okay...turns out she was the vivacious and charming co-host. I was at home from the moment I walked in the door. #serendipity

The artists were brilliant. The poetry was...beyond description. The venue was perfect and I had the wisdom to share this moment with two girlfriends as a birthday gift to one and as a "congratulations on taking two baby steps" gift to myself. It was the best decision I've made in a long time. I sat in silent appreciation of the entire event but when I go back, I will give and not just receive. Grateful for #serendipity.

No comments:

Post a Comment