Friday, November 9, 2012

What's On A Name

Dale Carnegie's 6th Human Relations Principle is this: Remember that a person's name is to that person the sweetest and most important sound in any language. This is what I am reflecting on as I remember that I know who I am supposed to be by what I hear you call me. When I hear "Mom" then I know what role to play. When I hear "MizJooooones" I know where I am and who I am. When I hear "Boo" I know it's none other than Miss LaKeisha Hayes calling my name! (Yeah, that's a blog entry unto itself!) When I hear the childhood nickname derived from my middle name, I know I'm talking to kinfolk.

It occurred to me today that I recently had the chance to introduce myself to some people who used their artist's moniker instead of their "government." Interesting. All of my avatars have names except my artist. The preacher is Reverend Jones, Revvie Rev, Reverend Sister, Reverend Mommy and sometimes Reverend Carla (which I still don't really like but I'm not sure why just yet). The educator is Miss Jones, MissJones(WHO?), Jonesey, Mi'Jones (you gotta hear Lasal say it to really understand that one), the ever incorrect Mrs. Jones (That would be my mama! Now stop it!), Professor Jones and "Miss" - which will earn you an ignore and an eyeroll. To my friends, I am Bestie, Jooooones, CeeJay, Coorla (Yeah, another Jersey shore pronunciation that you have to hear to appreciate...I may have to make this one an audio blog just so you can really feel me on this one!), Soror, Sis, Baby Sis, Big Sis, Twiiiiiiinnnnn, Twinlet, and there are a few others that I won't list just because they are mine and I don't have to. (And because some of the family in-house names dropped by my parents might offend your PC sensibilities. Okay, you really wanna know? There was Big Dummy, Bean Pole, Cancer, Skinny Minnie, Nappy Head, and a few that include the infamous N word but I'll leave those for the unauthorized biography.)

As an aside, I absolutely hate it when I am in the store using a card and the salesperson takes the liberty of assuming that my pleasant demeanor while handing over my hard earned money is a permission slip for familiarity. Don't you call me by my first name without an invitation! You don't know me. I am Miss Jones to you! Carla? How dare you? Just because your name tag has your first name, that's not my issue. I appreciate your gratitude for my choice to shop in your store, but if you call me Carla again and you'll be calling a manager to void the sale...ya hear?

Carla is by invitation only. It wasn't until this morning that I really realized it. I received a message the other day that used my name in a way that caught my attention. I know that the popularized question is what's in a name but I wonder (as a foodie) what's on a name? When I read the message, I immediately heard the person saying my name and it moved me. Suddenly, the name that I have worn all my life took on a different shape. Suddenly, I felt the meaning of my own name. Carla means strong and if you've ever seen me in action on a good day with my game face in place...you already know my parents knew what they were doing. But when I read my own name nestled near a comma, I heard it in a whole new way. Carla. Hmm...yes, finally, I was able to hear the sweetness that had been laid on my name.

Don't misunderstand, I am not suggesting that I have never heard my name spoken in a moment of intimacy where it was clearly drenched in honey and probably a few drops of sweat. (Heh, heh! That's a blog for another day too!) This wasn't any kind of sexual intimacy...but it was as if I really heard my name for the very first time...all over again. Hmm...perhaps my artist doesn't need a name. Maybe the name is indicative of who the artist really is. Say my name as if it invokes the muse and I will respond as one who has been inspired. Yes, lay that sweetness on my name and I will create for you because I can't help but be who you are calling me to be. In a typed message with nothing but black letters on a blue background, I was baptized into myself. Yes, the sound of my sugar coated name as it pushed up on that comma...that was indeed the sweetest sound I've heard all week. And I thank you.


Shalom

No comments:

Post a Comment